Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Journal 4 Skyler Siles

Journal 4
1.     The declaration that stood out to me the most from essay 1 was number 7. It talked about how the strides in innovations, especially technology may add up to override all of the progress of our innovations by the invention of a new kind of war that turns all of those innovations against us; that the webwork of communication and transportation that we have built is what actually has us trapped instead of making us free. I really liked this because even though this essay was written nearly 14 years ago, it still rings true and even more prevalent today. With today’s cell phones and social media, the world can communicate much faster but also terrorist groups use these ways of communication to spread fear worldwide. Also corporations that we depend on today, are now being attacked by cyber hacking groups which can steal information, not just about the corporation but also its users.
2.     One of my favorite writing in this second essay was the paragraph at the very beginning stating that the “environmental crisis is now pretty well established as a fact of our age” (Berry 11).  Going on saying it can be “ignored or scoffed at” but it can’t be denied anymore. I really liked this because it sets a strong tone for the essay.
3.     One term that I looked up was “free market”. Webster Dictionary defines “free market” as “an economic market or system in which prices are based on competition among private businesses and not controlled by a government”. I chose this because he refers to a free market throughout the essay many times, so to be able to understand his arguments you have to have a basic understanding what a free market is.

4.     One question that I asked was with all these arguments for and against the free market, what really is the cost and benefits of a free market economy? You can read the link attached to get a more in depth view of the costs and benefits of the free market.

4 comments:

  1. It's so sad that this is what our economy has come to: we're so used to all these problems that we've adjusted to them and stuck them on the back burner. That kind of indicates that these problems need MORE attention, not less

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe innovation is important and that it will never cease because people are curious. I believe that the past allows us to learn how to create more efficient technology. I also believe that if we do not handle these future innovations with a great deal of responsibility we may find ourselves being killed by our own inventions. Technology is wonderful if it is handle for the purpose of good moral. But to create stronger and more lethal weapons is a very scary thought, yet it is the reality of some our progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you posted what free market was because i had no idea but chose a different word to look up! Also i liked the passage about environmental crisis too, he really did chose the perfect way to start the chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like that you chose to follow the concept of a free market economy in your research. I agree that this essay is even more prevalent today and still is incredibly applicable. i guess that just shows how much it is going to take to change.

    ReplyDelete