Friday, March 13, 2015

journal 6- gerrilyn shively

Part one: Evangeline "Van" Calvin was a mannequin restorer in portland, Oregon. She had always loved art and you could see it in the faces of her mannequins. However she suffered a severe stroke which took most of her memory, but did not take her passion and dedication for her job. Perseverance is a huge theme through out this profile, Calvin still does what she loves even though she struggles to remember the life that got her there. I really liked how this profile was set up with the son telling most of the story, Isay could have easily just wrote a short synopsis of her story and ended with saying she had a stroke, he did not have to bring the son into this.
Part Two:
the two values, ideals, or skills that stuck with me the most would probably be:
1. the value of connecting with nature- we were set up to live handsomely off of the beauty that is earth and as a species we have definitely taken advantage of that. I think that it would be beneficial to all individuals to reconnect with nature, don't take it for granted. It is such a beautiful thing, we cannot let ourselves destroy it.
2. the ideal of doing what you love/ following your passions- this one sticks with me because it is definitely something we all should base our lives on. if you are doing what you love to do, if you're following your passions you will be happy.
Reading this book has been an interesting experience to say the least. when we first started out I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I really appreciate getting the chance to read it because if anything I am for sure that following my dreams will always be the right choice, happiness is the goal and the only way to reach your goals is by doing things that make you happy.

2 comments:

  1. Calvin was an amazing character, how you mentioned how Isay could have just wrote a short synopsis and left out the son was very true and insightful. I'm very glad Isay included the son because it also shows the beauty of family/friendship and being able to hold onto important events/memories, even if they are not your events/memories. Her son is a great man. I also loved how you said we, as the people, need to start reconnecting with nature and seeing the beauty in it, you couldn't have been more right. This planet holds so many stories and such beauty that we can not let it go to waste, we need to appreciate it and show more love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the value of connecting with nature was a huge theme in this book, and rightfully so. We all should take more advantage of the wonderful opportunites we have just living on the Earth. I also wasn't quite sure how this book would pan out, but I definitely feel more open to others because of it.

    ReplyDelete