Monday, March 30, 2015

Journal 7 by Morgan Adams

Part One:
So far, the character that has caught my interest the most in Hiroshima has been Miss Sasaki, the woman who had been at her desk when the bomb hit and was crushed by a bookcase filled with books. Shes interested me most because I felt sorry for her the entire time I was reading. Just imagine, to be stuck for two days and two nights with no food or water, yelling "I am lying here and I cant move...my leg is cut off" while in pain from a compound fracture of your leg and being told "we have no men to help you," and there isn't a thing you can do about it but lye and wait
. I believe this really revealed how strong of a woman she is for just being a clerk working at a desk. She is a true survivor. Her story goes to show the pain and anguish that the bomb caused many people who were not already dead.
Part Two:
In Hiroshima, the atomic bomb that was dropped was compared to the bomb dropped on Nagasaki and also a bomb known as the "British Grand Slam." But what exactly was the difference between these three bombs? The bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were both atomic bombs, used to employ a chain reaction of nuclear fission to wipe out a populated area. However, The bomb dropped on Hiroshima used Uranium to initiate fission while the bomb dropped on Nagasaki used plutonium instead. The British Grand Slam, However, was entirely different. It was known as an Earthquake bomb, also known as a Seismic bomb. The goal of the bomb was not to kill civilians in built-up areas as the bombs in Japan were. They were instead created to disrupt the infrastructure of the enemy and had such a thick casing that it could take up to a month after being dropped to finally go off. Before the bombs were dropped in Japan, The British Grand Slam was known as "the largest bomb ever used in the history of warfare." We now know that the bombs dropped on Japan were over 2000 times more powerful than the prior British Grand Slam Bomb.
British Grand Slam Bomb


1 comment:

  1. I liked the fact that you discovered a particular bomb called the British Grand Slam. I did not know that a bomb had a specific and that is seemingly interesting to know. Basically the information you wrote for your part two is a valuable lesson you can tell and teach to anyone about. This is some good, distinctive information here.

    ReplyDelete