Part One: Joe Franklin is a television talk show host in New York City. He is crazy mainly because he lives a very busy lifestyle. He gets telephone calls everyday from hundreds of people and most of the time he tells them that he is busy and doesn't have much time to talk to them. He has been in the television and radio business for forty-one years. He talks of a lot of firsts that he has done in his life, such as being the first person to create the "collectible" and the word "nostalgia" to be applied to show business and to make the phrase "memory lane" popular. He also states that he created the talk show because he was around in a time when there were no talk shows. He then goes on to talk of the many guest stars he had on his show as well as celebrities who never even had their own talk show. He states that he must be doing something right when he says that there have been four hundred talk show hosts in New York who just came and went. At the end of the profile, it is stated that Joe's show finally went off the air, but Joe doesn't seem to want to give up on that when he says that he is making a return to television.
From this person's experience, we should remember that by doing something right, you can be successful. Joe started out as someone who wanted to make it big and he did when he put his mind to it. The theme of eccentricity really stood out to me in this profile with the way Joe acts, but it's really due to the fact that he lives a busy lifestyle and he likes it to be that way. The writing is at its best when Franklin states, "I think there have been four hundred talk show hosts in New York City alone who came and when since I began--four hundred! So I must be doing something right." I like this quote because it explains that by doing the right thing in life we can be successful. I think this profile does in fact relate to our world today because people can live successful lifestyles by doing what they feel is right, whether they have a busy lifestyle or not. Our world needs people who have respect for each other and people who know how to solve problems in a time of need. And we also need to rely on people who entertain because it takes the pressures off of everyday life.
Part Two:I think community is very important in our society. Jim Searles enjoyed being with his friends at his checkers club. Community to me is an important way in how we interact in life. Our friends are there to support us in times of need as well as to do something fun. Community is people you live with and you grow close to them as if they are your family. If I ever need help I should always rely on the people around me. The idea of having hope and faith is also truly important in life because it is a way of knowing that you can be able to make through life as long as you believe in yourself and always hope for the best out of every situation.
In the end, after reading this book I feel as if everyday people (not just in America, but in the world as well) are more important than all of the famous people who have made it into history textbooks or have been on T.V. and in films who have been making enough money in their life and make political statements of a sort. I feel as if the everyday people in life should be respected because they work harder than some celebrities in our society. I think respecting everyone for who they are should be important in order to understand what some of these people went through in life in order to get to where they are.
I agree. Everyone has a unique story that is worth being told. and I think the profile Essay we are doing shows that. Local, regular Americans need to be remembered too.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you when you talked about doing something right. I think that a lot of people today think that everything should be easy or it isn't worth doing. In reality, whenever you want to accomplish something it will take hard work.
ReplyDeleteYou're right about the fact that everyone, no matter who they are, has something that they think is important to tell someone else. I think we should all listen to others more and learn to respect everyday people.
ReplyDelete