Dan Barlow was the Mayor of Colorado City. They were celebrating Pioneer Day which was the day that Brigham Young settled in the Salt Lake Valley. Some people from Salt Lake told them that the authorities were planning a raid for that weekend so they could somewhat prepare for the raid. Some of the guys including Barlow went out later that night and sat at the lookout point and watched for anything suspicious. Finally after awhile of waiting a sheriff came up the road and made a road block not letting anyone in or out. That's when the guys returned to town and warned the community that the raid was actually going to happen. When the police came to their village they surrounded the people and told them they were all under arrest and the people ended up taking it to court and fought for their freedom and won. They always kept in mind that "the law will take care of us and the lord will preserve us."
Dan was very emotional while telling this story because he didn't want to go to jail, he didn't want his wife to go a detention home and he didn't want his three kids to be taken away from him and then adopted with traces lost so that he would never see them again. His experience during that time was an emotional roller coaster. At first he was scared that he would lose his family but then the community came together and fought for everyone's freedom. The theme that stood out to me was perseverance because from the very beginning when he first heard about the raid he never gave up and never lost faith. I don't think this relates to our world today because we don't have raid were the police comes to our community and threatens to send all men to jail, all women to detention homes and all kids to be adopted. We however might do it individually if the parents break the law or are unfit to care for the children.
I think the writing was at its best when he says, "It's difficult for me to even talk about it after all these years because of the emotional experience it was to me."
The ideas and skills I think that will stick with me the most is active reading and being able to determine ideas and themes throughout someones stories. Also the history behind everyone and how some of them lived back then. I actually enjoyed reading this book a lot of the profiles were interesting and an easy read.
This story was so sad! I hated hearing about what happened to the poor children. I wouldve cried throughout my interview as well. Some people in this world can just do horrible things unfortunately.
ReplyDeleteI really liked that you picked some specific quotes from reading each profile and writing exact word by word to support your evidence. Also I feel sad and cannot forget the hardships that people faced back long time ago compared to how it is now.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I found this book to be really interesting. I've never read anything like this before and the experiences I've had in reading this is somewhat of a novel sensation.
ReplyDeleteDan Barlow's story of the raid really got to me. He is one person who will never forget what he went through at that particular point in time. And maybe someday we might have to face something similar to that in our own lives, if it may happen or not, but if it does we should definitely take his advice and believe in ourselves as well as protect our freedom. This book brought a lot of stories that have to deal with having freedom and other ideas and values that people hold onto and that we should think about.
ReplyDelete