![]() |
| Vacation Marseille France 2014 |
In the Maury Grahm profile the fact I found most interesting is that he started so young, its says he went off on his own at the age of thirteen. This day in age it is mostly unimaginable to think a thirteen year old can be out in the world by themselves with no form of support. I also learned the difference between a bum and a hobo, hobo's take their "profession" very seriously and find it derogatory when people refer to them as bums. Hobo's are more free spirits and find thrill in roaming around the country.
For my external research I decided to watch the vice episode, one of the things I found interesting is that the hobo culture is a dying breed most people who were riding the tracks have reached an age where they can no longer do it, and the population of hobo's is dwindling. Also how dangerous and hard it is to be hobo, it is a fight for survival. After the entire show the people who were experiencing the hobo culture found that the annual festival of hoboing is nothing like it used to be decades ago and has been turned into a commercialized family day. In the end the source was very informative because it gave a first hand experience.

Hi Manal(:
ReplyDeleteSo I think it is totally awesome that you are a citizen here in the U.S and in Algeria. Even more awesome that you visit there frequently, I can't even say that i've been out of the country.
I also found it interesting that he started at the age of thirteen because you're right, nowadays it's unimaginable for thirteen year olds to roam around the country as hobos. Some of us can't live without technology for more than an hour let alone go out and work for their next meal!
It is crazy how much our country has changed since the 1930's, especially the art of hoboing. it is very interesting to me how the hobo convention in Britt, Iowa has gone from a group of very unique and free people gathering to a tourist event. going to this event is educational I'm sure, but this just confirms the inspirational and admirable aspect of it all.
ReplyDelete