Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Journal 3 Skyler Siles

So far in holding on, it is pretty interesting. I usually don’t like reading profiles but these are very intriguing. The profiles are very short and precise so they are easy reads but they still have a meaning and value. The way the book is put together, how they gathered all these interviews and information based on these dreamers and visionaries is very cool as well. One of the weaknesses of the books is also one it strengthens.  While the book as the easy read, it doesn’t really go into depth which if a reader was really interested in a profile, the reader would have to go to a separate outside source for depth.



One theme that I can relate to is the connection to history and ancestors. Being raised by my dad who was born in Bolivia, and who was in the army I was taught to value and learn history of not only Bolivia, but also America because he believed that it is important for people know their own countries history so they are well informed and well aware of what and why things happen. Also since almost every day I went over to my dad’s mom’s house so she could babysit me, she taught me things about Bolivia and my heritage. I would always help her set up for the Dia de los Muertos. We would set up pictures of her mom and dad. Light up candles cook their favorite meals in celebration. She also made me watch all of the army marches the Bolivian army would do. Compared to some of my distinct cousin that live here in America, I am no were close to the amount of heritage celebrations and ect like they do. Although I value them, I think and my dad does as well, think they should do less of those celebrations and value more American traditions since we live in America. 

No comments:

Post a Comment