Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Exploration 2: Ruchir Saha

My name is Ruchir Saha.  I am currently a sophomore at OSU.  Previously, I thought I would major in Business and study at Fisher College down in the Columbus campus, but it wouldn’t work out for me.  So, I am in the process of deciding what my new major would be in order to satisfy my study interests.   The most interesting fact about me is that I can mimic other people’s voices and remember something funny I saw long time ago and discuss about it.
Maury Graham, his nickname Steam Train, 75, spent most of his life being a hobo.  He spent most of his life living and working on the roads and railroad tracks and lived in a broken house before that.  Especially, he used to join some camp where there were old hobos.   The thing that struck me most interesting is that he was happy living this lifestyle, which seems pretty harsh to adapt to.   Average Americans would naturally think that it is unsuccessful and frightening for individuals to live this way. 

Hobos are breaking the law and are afraid that they can possibly end up in jail.   The video from VICE discussed the relationship between the hobo and the “bull”, also known as the police, as a cat and mouse game.  From my perspective,  it would be frightening to be hiding from the police all the time, but the Hobos I read about including Maury Graham, survived many years.  Strangely, it seems like there is some excitement to this.   

Hi I'm Ruchir

5 comments:

  1. I am planning on being a history major, but every now and then I don't know if it is right for me. After reading the last paragraph, I feel as if the police should maybe just leave the hobos alone because they are doing what they do because it's what they want to do with their life: work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ruchir!
    So I find it very interesting that you can mimic people's voices! I would love to hear it sometime(:
    You're totally right about how average americans think they'd be unsuccessful to live that way and very frightening. I know for a fact that I would be terrified to roam the country asking people for work just to get a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maury Graham living hobo most of his life is destroy his life. he did not life good life. he can do better than going around the country with is cloth roads and railroad tracks and lived in a broken house before that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely kind of weird to think that there are people who actually enjoy this lifestyle. Maybe they like the open road so much that they couldn't bear to leave it. It's interesting to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ruchir,
    I graduated high school in 06, and after I graduated I honestly could say that I had no idea on what I wanted to do with my life. Part of me wanted to own a successful movie theater and a part of me wasn't sure if there was anything else out there to do. My best advice for anyone in your position is to go out and find yourself. Think of subjects and activities that you've never done before or never heard of and try them out! You never know, you might end up finding something about yourself that you never thought would be anything like you. My path after high school was something that I thought was rough, after looking back on it, but I honestly can say that if I hadn't worked at the jobs I had or did the things that I really enjoyed, I wouldn't of had the interest of going to school for being an English major. So, in a way, I can honestly say that these "hobos" had found themselves.

    ReplyDelete