Sunday, April 19, 2015

Journal 9 from Jackie Mickley

Part 1: Out of the sources provided, the one I liked most was the science channel, Veritasium. Science is probably my favorite subject because there is always something new to discover within the science world. I watched just one of his videos and I was hooked. I got sidetracked from writing this journal because I started watching a lot of his videos. He posts videos and he will ask the audience to make a guess as to what the reason is for some weird phenomenon, and then he won't answer it in that video. Because I am a person who loves to get answers, and who is always so curious about almost everything, I had to make my hypothesis and watch the next video! There was one video I watched about genes, and I find genetics a very interesting topic. I have always liked learning about genetics in biology class. Its interesting to me how DNA is so tiny, but yet if you were to take it out of the nucleus of a cell and stretch it out, it could be more than 6 feet long! Then how the cell uses your DNA to make proteins for different things in your body, its so incredible how this process works with little to no mistakes (normally). There were other videos that I watched that were not so complex and the information presented in these videos could be used in your everyday life because you can share this information with your friends in family just because its interesting. It is knowledge about simple everyday things. You would be educating your friends and family, and when you can teach someone else, it helps you to better learn the material all together.
Part 2: There is a channel on youtube called SciShow, and it is a science channel. It can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZYTClx2T1of7BRZ86-8fow
Scishow has many different videos that talk about many different things. It is a very educational youtube channel. The difference between this channel and Veritasium is that this channel talks about many different science topics, it isn't just physics related things. I think this can be valuable for people to use because it can teach people simple things. The videos are very easy to understand. For example, something simple that was taught through one of the videos was why you see yourself upside down on the inside of a spoon. Information like this is not always needed, but I find little fun facts like this to be very interesting. Who knows, maybe people can take the concepts they learn from little videos like these, and apply them to harder problems and it might help them solve the problem? What I mean is, in the spoon video I had mentioned, the man compared the way light hits the spoon and reflects back to your eye, to a ball hitting a flat wall and then a ball hitting a wall that is curved like a spoon. He took something simple as a ball hitting a wall and used that concept to help explain why your reflection is upside down on the inside of a spoon.

4 comments:

  1. I can tell that you're in to science. Interesting topic for the first part as well as the second part. Science is cool stuff, but it is hard to understand. Overall, this was some good stuff to learn about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that this channel seems pretty straightforward and covers even more basic concepts in science. Channels like these are great for review before a test because they give you an opportunity to hear something in a different way to emphasize what you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched this just to know how my reflection is upside down in the inside of a spoon because that's so cool! You're right little things like this don't matter to most people but it's because we don't think twice about it. I was a huge fan of this channel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SciShow is a cool channel I look on YouTube. I watch their videos for educational and at the same time entertaining purposes. I like when there is fun and creativity when teaching science. This my second favorite educational channel I like on YouTube along with BuzzFeed.

    ReplyDelete