Saturday, April 25, 2015

Poems and Dreams- Julianne P.

PART 1:

Sojourner Truth

Born in 1797 and sold with the sheep
Sold to a rude man who could haunt her in her sleep

Grew up, had five kids, and was promised to be freed
Escaped since the promise her owner made he would not heed

Her and her baby stayed with a family who was fortunately not cold
And helped her save her son, Peter, when he was illegally sold

Became the first black woman to win a court case,
Something that would probably get into the men's face

Held the fire for abolition and preached for all to hear
And spurned a fight for women's rights for everyone far and near

In front of a crowd to speak on these was why she was summoned
And gave a passionate speech where she told them "And ain't I a woman?"

Fought for rights for those of her race in any way she could
Helped desegregation by means of the army and a streetcar in the neighborhood

She fought long and she fought hard so that all could have rights and be free
Helped to unite, fought hard for rights, died peacefully in 1883





PART 2:
            The one dream that I have always had for as far back as I can remember is the dream to not only get a book published, but also have it turn into a movie. I absolutely love writing stories. I've been writing them since I was six and I've been improving as the years have gone by. When I write my books, I tend to play them out in my head like a movie so that I can see exactly what I want to write down in my book. Story writing isn't quite an easy task however. I love it, which is why I do it, but it's not easy to find the time to sit down and scribble down every single detail from your head into the book. And when you do finally finish, you then have the luxurious task of editing it so that it makes sense and is readable for any potential readers. For example, when I was seven, I wrote a book called The Mixed Team, which was based off of a game me, my best friend, and my little sister used to play back in Maryland. Over the course of eleven years following the book's original draft, I have typed it up, lost it to a computer crash and had to  retype it, proof-read it, edited it, re-wrote it, let my mom read it several times, re-wrote it again, re-edited it, and took a two year hiatus so that I could figure out why the heck the book wasn't coming together. I have now found out how I'm going to make the book good and likeable and I am now about to go into yet another re-write in an attempt to make this thing! And then someday, I hope that either this book or some other novel I write may be good enough to be put on the screen of a movie theater and be just as good as the book. That way, I can sit back and think to myself, People love my books so much that they wanted to make an actual movie out of it! To me, that would be one of my greatest accomplishments. I still have a long way to go as my books aren't that close to being ready for publishing, but it's still a dream I'm hanging onto in the meantime.

1 comment:

  1. go for it! writing a book is a lot of hard-work and it takes an awful long time to get one finished let alone having it published... I've even gone as far as the beginning of writing my own book. It's just so onerous for someone who's constantly in school working on a degree to be able to sit down and bust out several pages within your book every few hours.

    ReplyDelete