Monday, April 27, 2015

Poem and Dreams: Matt Elswick

Frank Lloyd Wright
The first American Starchitect
An ego so large he could not house it
A hopeless romantic that found new love with the change of season
Taliesin struck by tragedy not once, but twice 
Sought to end classical influences
Gave birth to Usononia
Geometric master

Had a love affair with the square
He brought the outside in
Form was to become function
Blended structure and nature
Made a home on a waterfall
Defined the organic structure
Built homes from local goods
Fallingwater by Frank Lloyd Wright



Part 2:
My dream is to have a workshop that would allow me to build anything I could desire. This is not an inexpensive goal. My idea is to obtain mills, lathes, routers, a small CNC set up would be ideal. I have a few bench tools, but I need more. Some of the things I want cost as much as a car. Having space is also a must. I may have to start poking around auctions and looking for small machine shops going out of business. Some of the best stuff comes from the 1950's. I was never really into art and I don't a fine touch, but I am effective at making things that actually do something. The second facet to this goal would be to share it with people who share this interest. Tools can be expensive but once the set up is complete, the ability to repair or build anything you need makes life ridiculously inexpensive and incredibly rewarding. You can also turn a tidy profit with the right hobby. 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds sweet. I like the idea of operating your own home improvement workshop. I sometimes enjoy collecting materials, working with tools and do any hands-on project such as building and repairing. That is an innovative dream.

    ReplyDelete