Monday, April 20, 2015

journal 9-lacie

Part One- I found the link for 60 minutes to be most useful for me. It has a lot of information that is going on around the world right now that I didn't know about it. I think it was most useful that not only can you read articles about what is taking place in this world but also there are videos. Reading something can be extremely informative but very boring so having visual aid is a great way to help the learning process become easier. I think the video that was most interesting was where it shows the gas attacks in Syria. Many people died in such a horrible way that it was difficult for the news to even want to show the disturbing video. Who would blame them? Of course it's a big event that took place in Syria but to actually show the footage to the rest of the world is heart wrenching. Using this link is just a great way for people to connect with the rest of the world and get the update on current events.

Part Two- I like ted talks YouTube channel, every video is very informative and also funny. It's easy to watch and to actually get lost in the video wanting to know every little detail. The video I like the most is of Diana Kander. She talks about innovation and how our society is dead wrong about it. She gives many examples as to how we are wrong. The example that she used that I liked the most was how she said she's in martial arts classes and how she's been training. One night she walked out to her car after work and one of her previous customers approached her and put his hands around her throat but instead of defending herself she stood in shock. Thankfully a coworker walked out in time and the customer ran off. The moment she had been training for happens and she had no idea what to do because she was never trained to actually hit someone. By not being trained to actually hit someone than what was she training for? She said she was really learning how to score points in a really controlled environment and that's not how society works. But with the right approach and goal to never give up than it can easily be turned around, she could defend herself the next time she was found in that situation. I think that if we all used her positive method than our outlook on society would be more positive as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pii8tTx1UYM

4 comments:

  1. Mike showed us ted talks videos in my last class and I too found them very interesting. It is refreshing to get different views and information in different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My anatomy teacher in high school showed me ted talks videos and i really liked them. Not only do you learn a lot from them but they are also funny and interesting as well. I forgot about ted talks until I saw this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ted talks because the speakers always have an interesting opinion about something in our society. I always leave the video seeing topics in a new light, and I think that's important for everyone to experience once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah Ted Talks are pretty good. I can watch some videos and think okay this is a little boring, and then others I will absolutely love! I can learn from these videos too. I think one of the good things about the Ted Talk channel is that there are a variety of video for people to watch. There are many people talking about many different topics, so people can pick and choose what to watch, so it should't get boring.

    ReplyDelete