Monday, April 20, 2015

Journal 9 Mason Metcalf

The link I chose to talk about was Veritasium. https://www.youtube.com/user/1veritasium. This video is about a man who tried and succeed at explaining how trees carry water up there trunks into the very top leaves. Going into Entomology I found this not only very interesting but useful too. The plants (Especially trees) are a huge part of the insects home and knowing more about there home is always a good thing. I am sure I will use this knowledge in the field when I am doing research or studying for something. The exact science of how the plant moves water interested me the most. The part where he talks about how there are negative ATM and how he can have almost -15 ATM at a top of a tree blew me away. This was a very cool video and also and very informational video.

The video I want to show you is about Entomology. Entomology is the study of insects and to study insects you have to catch them. One of Entomologists favorite and most rewarding things is to go into the field and collect. This video takes you through the steps from collecting the insect to pinning it and labeling it. There are tons of these videos and I invite you to look around. There are videos on very cool insects and different kinds of ways of collecting them. My favorite is to collect at night with a light. This picture is in Arizona, this is one of the best collecting spots in the U.S.A. This link is where I found the picture. It is a great link and has a lot of information. http://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/2/4/564/htm

The light that is hanging is called a mercury vapor light. Insects find this light to be very attractive because of the large light spectrum it produces.
 This is not shown in this video but I would suggest trying it in person before you just shrug it off. It is much more rewarding and fun then people think you just have to give it a chance. Entomology is a very cool and interesting subject. Insects are one of the most diverse species in the world. You will never get board and if you properly pin the insects you can keep them forever. This is a picture of one of the insects that I had raised from the ova. it is called the Atlas moth and it is the largest moth in the world.
Atlas moth I raised. I purchased the Ova from a person in Taiwan who raises these moths.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcBOm6DQ20g

1 comment:

  1. I also liked Veritasium, the stuff he talks about you just don't think about but after he talked about it i couldn't believe the information he gave us. I think you website would be really interesting to look at and get a better understanding of insects.

    ReplyDelete