Question One:
One of the characters in the novel Hiroshima that I found quite interesting would be Hatsuyo Nakamura. I found her to be a very hard working, independent women as well as an extraordinary mother. Nakamura was constantly pushing through her symptoms of radiation sickness, and constantly trying to provide a decent life for her children. She worked trying jobs that required her to take many breaks of rest due to her constant exhaustion, but she pushed through, as always. Because she was such a loving mother her children truly cared for her, especially her son, Toshio, who took much care of Nakamura as she aged. I also loved Nakamura's spirt. I loved how even after all the hardships, she found that traditional Japanese dancing was a relief, and through that dancing she was able push all her possible hate and bitterness out.
I also found Toshiko Sasaki an incredible character. She was put through a lot of emotional strains; the damage of her leg, loosing her fiancé because he found out that she was hibakusha, and loosing her parents in the atomic bomb. I also loved how strong she was, having to put her brother and sister into an orphanage and then deciding to become a nun, all very difficult decisions. But I am happy that she was happy in the end. She was glad that she joined the convent and was able to travel around the world, even meeting the Pope. She also helped those in need, and was able to relate to their struggles and comfort them as they passed. For someone who lost so much, she gave so much back.
Question Two:
In Fever Grass and Feverfew I became so cheerful when I read how the foliage in Hiroshima was growing back. "Over everything - up through the wreckage of the city, in gutters, along the riverbanks, tangled among the tiles and tin roofing, climbing on charred tree trunks - was a blanket of fresh, vivid, lush, optimistic green" (69). It was so uplifting and hopeful, and it's amazing how nature does it's own thing when man destroys the land. Nature reminds mankind that we, as a population, do not have control over everything on this earth. I think this is important to remember because sometimes people experience horrific events, and convince themselves that there is no more hope. But there is hope because nature provides life. We cannot forget that life brings hope, and hope brings life.
Question Three:
At the start of the chapter, Details Are Being Investigated, I realized how amazing Dr. Sasaki truly was, and that he would and needs to be remembered. "By nightfall, ten thousand victims of the explosion had invaded the Red Cross Hospital, and Dr. Sasaki, worn out, was moving aimlessly and dully up and down the stinking corridors with wads of bandage and bottles of Mercurochrome, still wearing the glasses he had taken from the wounded nurse" (46). Later on the author announces how Dr. Sasaki worked for three straight days with one hour sleep. He could have easily ran away from the catastrophe and gone to his mother. I think the only reason he did go home after the third day was become he was probably going a bit crazy from the sight of so much dead and so little sleep.
In the end of the chapter, Panic Grass and Feverfew, I found Mr. Tanimoto's experience with helping out the wounded quite amazing. "They raised their bodies slowly and accepted a cup of water with a bow and dunk quietly... with a hearty expression of their thankfulness... 'Look, I lost my home, my family, and my last my-self bitterly injured. But now I have gotten my mind to dedicate what I have and to complete the war for our country's sake'" (87). I liked this one because it show how the Japanese are so patriotic. Would American citizens have this mind set? The eerie yet incredible part was how most of them passed in silence, even when they were in great pain.
In the chapter, The Aftermath, I believe it is important to remember how selfless Father Kleinsorge acted. "He has had taken on himself the Japanese spirt of enroy - setting the self apart, putting the wishes of others first. They thought he might literally kill himself with kindness... After he came back from a long hike of pastoral call, the Misasa housekeeper would see him collapse on the steps... The next day, he would be out in the streets again" (111). Father Kleinsorge was very sick while doing his pastoral calls and could have easily stayed in bed. I believe because he saw so much death on the day of the atomic bomb, he believed it was his duty to help those in need, even if he was the one in need. We all could learn to be a little more selfless.
Question Four:
I believe the novel, Hiroshima, inspires people to work hard and have hope. In times of trouble, if a healthy, available human being is capable of helping others in need, then that capable human being should help. Or if there are other ways of helping those in need, even if that is giving them attention, then I believe that is important. This novel also gives hope. Even after the atomic bomb when Hiroshima was covered in ash and death, and families were torn apart and forced to accept the horrific event, there was still a sliver of hope. And today, Hiroshima is a beautiful city.
We as people need to learn to sit back and realize that life could much worse. There are people all over this world that are suffering from oppression or natural disasters. We are all so lucky because we are able to continue our education, and most likely live a healthy life. It's all perspective, by looking through someone else's eyes for a change we can learn so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment